Our Placements tool is one of our most popular tools ever, loved by hundreds of schools and colleges:
“The system is quite literally life changing – thank you!” Eugénie Pasco, Kingswood School
"You can see for every student where they’ve gone on placement and all the details, even down to the employers' insurance documents. Ofsted were really happy I was able to produce that at the drop-of-a-hat.” James Golds, The Highfield School
"During our Ofsted inspection I was able to log into Unifrog and demo the tool to the inspector so I could show how Unifrog had helped us grow our work experience programme … my target was to get 100 students from the year group out on work experience but we’ve actually got 140 students going out - if anyone isn’t using the Placements tool, it is incredible!” Natasha Roberts, Melton Vale Sixth Form College
In the 2022-23 academic year more than 75,000 students had their work experiences administered from start to finish using the tool.
The tool makes it easy to administer work experience, VWEX, work shadowing, internships - any time when a student has sustained direct contact with an employer.
**** Changes launched in Autumn 2023 ****
In Autumn 2023 we launched a suite of important developments. Here's a summary:
- Placement coordinators able to add placements on behalf of students
- Teachers are notified by email when a student picks them as a placement coordinator
- Weekly email summaries for placement coordinators of which placements have outstanding forms
- Auto-saved employer forms (so they can't lose their work halfway through)
- Suppressing the Parent/Guardian agreement for students 18+
- Special Insurance, Risk Assessment and Health & Safety sections for placements not in the UK
- A completely new version of the Placements tool for Northern Ireland schools
- Teachers can bulk convert completed placements into interactions
Here are your most frequently asked questions about the Placements tool, answered:
- What is it exactly?
At a basic level it’s a series of forms which need to be completed by specific people at specific times; when one person finishes their form, the system automatically messages the next person in the chain.
The tool makes it easy:
- For students to get the ball rolling, then reflect on the placement afterwards;
- For the employer to plan a brilliant placement (we give them a little library of expert guides);
- For the employer to also follow and confirm that they follow best practices in:
- Health and safety;
- Risk Assessment;
- Covid safety guidelines;
- Data protection (eg the UK GDPR);
- For the parent/guardian to agree to the placement and stay informed of what’s happening;
- For the school/college coordinators to have an overview of the whole process, across multiple students;
- For the school/college to build up a database of employers who have previously hosted placements, showing things like student ratings, the sector, and whether the employer is up for hosting virtual or in person placements.
- How does the tool help employers?
- Employers who have hosted a placement via Unifrog in the last 6 months now have most of the information about themselves and their organisation auto-filled (they can still edit this information if they want).
- Employers who are Unifrog partner organisations have more information auto-filled, including documents like their ELI certificate, and they also have the option to auto-fill placement-specific information (eg the start and end dates and the placement overview).
- How much does it cost?
It's an add-on for schools to the normal Unifrog package. We can give you a quote after your demo. As usual with Unifrog, you don't pay any extra for training and support.
- Has the tool been properly put to the test?
Yes. 1,000+ schools/colleges now use it, with more starting every day. In the academic year 2022-23, 75,000+ work placements were successfully administered through it.
- How do we know the forms in the Placements tool sufficiently meet the official guidelines?
We’ve designed the forms to meet official guidance fully, including relevant guidance from KCSIE 2022, and from the HSE. Over the course of building the tool, which has been several years' work, we’ve been careful to benefit from the expert input of tens of experienced work experience coordinators, and from employers who are old hands at hosting placements. There are a few elements to this:
Part of the tool is a set of guides that lay out in every-day-English each party's responsibility when it comes to safeguarding, H&S, RAs, GDPR, and insurance. There are templates for any paperwork that doesn't already exist. Students, parents/guardians and placement coordinators at schools/colleges all have access to these guides.
- Gathering information
The tool asks the right questions to the right people at the right time. If necessary - for example because the placement is at a workplace that is above average risk - the tool asks further questions so that decision makers have all the information they need.
- Giving and recording permission
The tool involves all parties in the process, asks their permission, and records it. As a coordinator you can review the paperwork for all placements that have been recorded - very handy if you have an inspection.
- Do people like it?
The really important thing is that it's popular with everyone involved: students, employers, parents/guardians, and placement coordinators at schools/colleges.
It saves everyone time, and it helps students and employers to have more successful placements.
“It is a complete game changer. Thank you Unifrog!” Judith Crimes, Birchwood High School
“The whole process is so easy and hassle-free” Sweta Thakrar, Dr Challoner's School
“Careers leaders have been waiting for a planning and safeguarding platform for many years! Thank you Team Unifrog.” Karen Green, Westgate School
- How can I see it in action? And how can I ask questions about it?
If you're already a Unifrog partner, please contact your Area Manager. If you want to get yourself clued up in advance, check out this guide on the tool (you'll need to login).
If you don’t work with us already, please request a demo here (we'll then set up a meeting with you), or call us on +4420 3372 5991. We would love to hear what sort of technical solution you are looking for, and what questions you have for us.
- Is it compliant with the GDPR / UK GDPR?
- Does the system work if the placement is not in the UK?
The Placements tool is built from a foundation in UK law and best practice, but the confirmations and agreements between parties are binding regardless of the country where they are made.
We’ve been careful to make things work seamlessly for non UK environments, for example in the tool the employer commits to complying with local data protection law and local covid guidelines, and we’ve built in various handy things like asking the employer what languages are spoken in the workplace.
- Can we use it for VWEX? Or for volunteering placements?
Yes and yes.
In the case of VWEX, the process is more simple than for in person placements, for example there is no parent / guardian agreement form, and no school permission form. There are some different safeguarding questions, for example the employer has to confirm they will comply with safety online best practice.