Unifrog becomes a B Corp
27th March 2023
We're super excited to share that Unifrog is now a certified B Corp! We're joining a growing group of inspiring companies that put social impact at the heart of what they do.
Why did we apply?
We applied to become a B Corp to demonstrate the impact of our social mission and how we operate as a business. At Unifrog, our aim is to level the playing field for young people across the globe, supporting them to find their best next steps. Internally we promote ethical practices in our day-to-day work, like working sustainably and representing diverse audiences.
How did we do it?
One of the factors that contributed to our certification - and that we’re really proud of! - is our sustainability policy. As part of this:
- Everyone at Unifrog gets one 'save the planet' volunteering day per year to take part in sustainable action.
- We fund rewilding and reforestation projects run by Mossy Earth, a team that works to restore nature and fight climate change.
- We offset flights and miles driven for work using carbon offset programmes. You can see our impact on Ecologi, here.
Another cool thing we do at Unifrog is run a Champion programme. Our Champions include Sustainability Champions, Mental Health Champions, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Champions, who each get a development budget to help them upskill and support the team. They represent the team by contributing to policy writing, leading wellbeing training, and organising faith-based events, helping to make sure everyone at Unifrog feels welcome, included, and represented.
How did we score?
The B Corp certification covers five key areas: Governance, Workers, Community, Environment, and Customers. The certification process is tough, with applicants required to reach a score of over 80 while providing evidence of their socially and environmentally responsible practices. These include things like waste and water use, diversity, and corporate transparency. We’re proud that we've achieved a strong starting score of 85.8.
Unifrog is now part of a community of over 6,200 businesses globally who have certified as B Corps. In the UK alone, this comprises over 1,100 companies and includes well-known brands like The Guardian, innocent, The Body Shop, and organic food pioneers Abel & Cole.
Dan Keller, our CEO, says: ‘We’re delighted to have achieved B Corp status. Unifrog's mission is to level the destinations playing field for young people, and we also work hard to have sustainable, inclusive, and ethical working practices internally. Having a positive social impact before anything else is one of our core values, and becoming a B Corp is fantastic recognition of our efforts on this front.’
We're more determined than ever to achieve our mission of levelling the destinations playing field. To achieve this, we've started to build an extensive network of university and employer partners.
Thanks to these partners, we’re able to leverage support from academics, current apprentices and student ambassadors, and employer experts to help students make even more informed decisions about their next steps. Upcoming work with these partners includes developing our subject taster and work experience offer for students at our 3,500 partner schools and colleges. Watch this space!
We’re also pushing even harder in our efforts to be environmentally responsible, with our goal to reach net zero emissions as a business by 2050, if not sooner. In order to achieve this, we’ve got some big plans ahead:
- We’re looking carefully at the amount of travel we do around the globe. We still want to visit our partners, but we want to be smart about how we do it – combining lots of meetings into a single trip, always using trains over flights where possible, and, when we do need to book flights, looking to choose the most sustainable options.
- We’ve made the decision to only buy refurbished and sustainable IT hardware that lasts for the long term, and to always invest in repairing our equipment (rather than buying new).
- We want to hold our suppliers accountable, encouraging them to measure and reduce their own emissions and digging down into the sustainability of what they offer.
Want to learn more? Read about Unifrog’s policies here.
Unifrog Insights monthly email
Progression-related teaching materials, and insight from the Unifrog platform, emailed to you once a month.